Once considered the largest city in America, before the boom of Los Angeles and New York, Philadelphia is a national gem rich in history, culture, and modern amenities. Our nation was born along Philadelphia’s cobblestone roads and brick homes that give the city its historic, colonial feel and a modern city was built around history providing locals and visitors endless amenities to enjoy. There are plenty of things to do in Philadelphia. Here is a list to get you started.
1. Learn about our countries fight for freedom and visit Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Both are located on Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th street.
2. Walk-through a beating heart replica or watch an IMAX movie at the Franklin Institute Science Museum, located on North 20th Street.
3. Play games at Dave and Busters, ice skate in winter and take in concerts in the summer at Penn’s Landing, located along the Delaware River off of Christopher Columbus Street and Chestnut Street.
4. Enjoy over 200 galleries and exhibits at the Philadelphia Museum of Art’s main building and new Perelman Building, located off of Kelly Drive and Pennsylvania Avenue.
5. Take in the sights of Boat House Row, by foot or car, located along the east side of the Schuylkill River.
6. Learn about over 2,000 species of wildlife at the Philadelphia Zoo, located off of W Girad Ave.
7. Enjoy a Philadelphia Cheese Steak at one of the many vendors located in every neighborhood. Pat’s King of Cheese Steaks is the most famous and is located at Wharton and Passyunk Avenues.
8. Take in a game. Philadelphia is home to the Phillies baseball team, the Eagles football team, and the Flyers hockey team as well as Temple University, Drexel and Pennsylvania University college teams.
9. Experience the streets of Philadelphia by horse drawn carriage. 76 Carriage Company offers daily rides and are located across from Independence Hall.
10. Watch a Ballet or listen to an Opera at the Academy of Music located on Broad and Locust Streets.
11. Enjoy a romantic dinner at the Fairmount Water Works Restaurant which sits at the foot of the Philadelphia Art Museum.
12. Sip on a microbrew at Manayunk Brewery and Restaurant which offers hand-crafted beers, wine, a full liquor bar and delicious food. Located at 4120 Main Street.
13. Dance the night away at Shampoo located on N 8th street. It’s the hottest club in town with the best DJ’s.
14. Cruise the Delaware River and see historic landmarks by boat on the Liberty Belle, a six-story Mississippi style river boat launching from S. Broad Street.
15. Shop till you drop at the Franklin Mills Mall located 15 minutes from downtown with over 200 stores.
Things to do in Philadelphia: eat, drink, sightsee, take in a game, enjoy art and music, and learn about our national history. It’s all available in the city of brotherly love.
Source by Robert Grazian